Participation in College Credit Plus program increases at Hayes

Adisyn Graham, Staff Writer

College Credit Plus is a common way for students to engage in their early years of college, while still in high school.
Delaware Hayes High School has been offering College Credit Plus (CCP) programs since 2012, as well as similar programs decades before then.
Prior to the 2012-2013 school year, Hayes offered PSEO, also known as a Post Secondary Education Option. Since then, it has been revamped to allow more students to be aware of these opportunities.
Jennifer Pollard is the current CCP adviser at Hayes High School.
Pollard said that this year, there are over 200 students taking CCP classes. “Our budget last year was a quarter of a million dollars,” Pollard said. “They doubled it this year… So there is half a million dollars being allocated to CCP.”
Students that are enrolled in CCP classes are getting credit hours for both high school and college, while having to pay little to no fee. The cost of tuition at the campuses offering CCP is covered by the Delaware City school district, as well as all textbooks and classroom necessities.

The difference between AP and CCP is if you are in AP and not a great test taker, there is really no guaranteed college credit. It is based on how you perform on that one day.”

— Jennifer Pollard

Another option is Advanced Placement courses, which many students take at the high school level rather than CCP classes. However, Pollard said AP credits are not as easily transferred to colleges, nor are the credits guaranteed.
“The difference between AP and CCP is if you are in AP and not a great test taker, there is really no guaranteed college credit,” Pollard said. “It is based on how you perform on that one day. Whereas, CCP is a cumulative [grade] over the entire semester.”
The acceptance and passing rates for CCP community colleges is high. However, there are still state prerequisites to taking classes at this level.
“The state qualifications are [students] have to have a 3.0 GPA or higher,” Pollard said. “If they don’t, then they have to have a qualifying ACT, SAT or Accuplacer test results.”
CCP classes do not differ too much from the classes at Hayes. Elaina Tompkins is a junior at Hayes High School and is enrolled in her second year taking CCP classes. “I feel like it’s almost the same, if not easier,” Tompkins said.
The CCP program offers both online and in person lectures. “I prefer online classes because it’s easier to get done on my own time,” Tompkins said.
If students feel that their CCP class is not fit for them, they are able to drop their class within the first two weeks without penalty.
After those two weeks, the student will receive a “W” on their transcript. This will not affect their GPA, however the student is responsible for owing the district the cost back for that class.
Although it is not fit for everyone, CCP is one way for students to get a head start on their years of college. “I thought it would be good to get some college classes done,” Tompkins said. “My career is an 8 year college duration, so I wanted to shorten that down a little bit.”
Overall, there are many long term benefits from taking CCP classes. “I just think it’s really cool to give people the opportunity to earn college credit,” Pollard said. “And not have to pay for tuition, [or] have to pay for textbooks.”