Differences between AP classes and CCP classes

Amanda Booth, Staff Writer

AP (Advanced Placement) classes and CCP (College Credit Plus) classes are similar, but have different approaches to teaching students and different after-course effects.
Not all CCP classes are the same, but all AP students are required to attend the entire school year of class and take an exam at the end of the course to see if they earn college credit or not.
With AP classes, the grades a student receives during the year do not affect their test score at the end. For example, a student can earn all A’s during the year and then not pass the AP exam and not receive college credit.
According to Ohio Higher Ed the majority of students who take CCP take classes through community colleges, and there is not a test at the end of the course to determine whether or not a student earns college credit. The student just needs to pass the course with a C or above, and their high school pays for the course that was taken.
Another difference between the two is that CCP is also available at a younger age. For most AP classes the course starts in high school, while CCP classes can start as early as 7th grade.
With that being said, both options have their benefits. While both types of college credit courses can be used in different ways, AP classes are accepted at 99% of colleges in the United States. CCP classes are usually only accepted at state colleges and universities.
Junior Audra Lyon is taking AP Language and Composition at Hayes. “I like taking AP because not all CCP credits transfer to the colleges that you want to go to,” Lyon said.
According to Arizona State University, since AP classes are college level work, many schools have the class weighted higher than basic level courses. This can also affect the GPA negatively depending on work done throughout the school year.
Junior Adam Sinzinger is in his second year taking CCP classes. “It was really helpful that I was able to work through [homework] on my own instead of having to be rushed by the teachers and taking tests.” Sinzinger said.
One benefit of CCP is that high school students can earn an Associates degree while still in high school, at no cost to the student.
Meg Wallace is a senior who is in her third year taking both CCP and AP classes.
“I think for people that aren’t good at testing, then CCP classes might be better because you get college credit either way,” Wallace said. “Whereas AP classes, in my opinion, are better to take because you get the whole year instead of just one semester but you have an exam at the end of [the school year]. So it depends on the way you learn.”

AP classes, in my opinion, are better to take because you get the whole year instead of just one semester.”

— Meg Wallace

Both CCP and AP classes have their differences, but they both have their benefits. “[I am looking forward to] meeting new people and learning a different atmosphere [taking CCP classes],” Wallace said.