The Student News Organization for Rutherford B. Hayes High School

The Talisman

The Talisman

The Talisman

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Computer science should be accessible for all and integrated with both the humanities and social sciences.
Opinion: Computer science education needs a major update
Grace Metz, Editor-In-Chief • May 19, 2024
Read Here
The Senior Music Award Ceremony took place on May 7, 2024.
Music department honors graduating seniors
Ava Vogel, Staff Writer • May 18, 2024
Read Here
Coach Vincenzo talks with player Landon Vanderwarker during a game.
How Coach Vincenzo’s character shaped not only the Hayes Basketball program, but the community and players alike
Josie Morrow, Views/Entertainment Section Editor • May 17, 2024
Read Here
Engineers work on the Voyager 2 probe. The Voyager probes have now been in space for nearly 50 years.
Opinion: What the Voyagers odysseys mean
Brody Counts, Staff Writer • May 17, 2024
Read Here
Next years Hayes Talisman editorial board (Left-Right): Natalie Heckert, Abby Stahl, Izzy Kelly, Dre Nelson, Mia Saksa and Ava Vogel.
Meet our new 2024-2025 editorial board
Grace Metz, Editor-In-Chief • May 15, 2024
Read Here

Coach+Vincenzo+talks+with+player+Landon+Vanderwarker+during+a+game.+
Alec Ostapuck

The poster with “one team, one dream, one goal” hangs drooping from the wall in the old wing as the school starts to move on from the basketball team’s historic game at the State Tournament, held in Dayton back in March.
The team is made up of Delaware All-County First Team players Jesse Burris and Landon Vanderwarker, as well as Second Team player Jake Lowman. This leads to a common misconception of an amazing starting lineup happening at the right place at the right time leading to the teams.
However, behind the success, Coach Adam Vincenzo has had a vision years in the making.
Assistant Coach Kevin Butts reflected Vincenzo’s vision from Hayes’ first ever regional win against Olentangy Orange with a smile strung across his face.
“When we won against Orange [I started] to understand the vision that Vincenzo had when we first took over the program, and just kind of seeing how everything has kind of built up to this point,” Butts said. “Then for us to finally get over the hump and get to see that vision come to fruition. I know how much time he puts in and how much work he puts in just for him to finally accomplish a goal that he had and set out like when he first started was just amazing.”
Senior varsity player Carter Sims also reflected on the team’s success, mentioning the work Vincenzo put towards even the Dempsey basketball programs during his time as a middle schooler.
“This wave of players is really a product of community investment,” Sims said. “When we were in middle school, Vincenzo would always come out, the players here before us at Hayes would always volunteer at games to referee with camps.”
Vincenzo said he has always put an emphasis on the Delaware community and the impact that they have on the team.
“We have always had amazing community support, but especially the support for the team this year was overwhelming in such a positive way,” Vincenzo said.
Sims also echoed his coach’s praises when reflecting on the season.
“I see community support as the background of our success,” Sims said.
However, the real philosophy of the Hayes boys’ basketball program that sets them apart is the four pillars that Vincenzo created when starting as head coach: family, humility, trust, perseverance.
“I wanted to give the program a sense of purpose,” Vincenzo said. “So those four values, I wanted them to reflect what I value in my everyday life, outside of sports, but also connected to basketball. I think they are a life lesson and kind of give a purpose for more than just basketball.”
Vincenzo also wanted to create a program that put an emphasis on brotherhood, a phrase written across the teams warmup gear for every game.
“Just our love for each other,” Butts said. “We talk about family and brotherhood and in strong families you literally do anything for your brother, your sister, your mom, your dad and I truly feel like that’s kind of like what we’ve kind of built here from leadership.”
This program’s philosophy has impacted players not just on the court but also off.
“He has just given me valuable life lessons not just on basketball but life as a whole,” Sims said. “Like with the pillars of the program and using your passion as an avenue to accomplish those things. That has helped my life just in general.”
Vincenzo not only teaches his program’s philosophy but also seems to lead by example in not just his coaching, but in his everyday life.
“He’s someone I trust a lot to have my back if I ever needed it and it is just a positive force in my life,” Sims said. “He has always taught me to have confidence in myself.”
Butts also views Vincenzo in a similar light.
“He is probably the humblest guy ever,” Butts said. “I mean it sounds so cliche, but he’ll give you the shirt off his back, that’s just the type of person he is. He’s just a really special person that cares deeply about you as a person, not just as a player but on a personal level.”
While the season might not have ended in the way Hayes wanted, Coach Vincenzo’s story of hard work and humility transcends basketball.
“Hopefully this can share with a lot of people how great of a human he is, and how he has a vision and his vision is coming to fruition and I hope that this can be a vision for our community,” Butts said. “If you have a vision, you work hard and do things the right way. Good things will come your way.”