The Student News Organization for Rutherford B. Hayes High School

The Talisman

The Talisman

The Talisman

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
The total solar eclipse viewed from Delaware.
The United States and eclipsing (scientific) literacy
Brody Counts, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
Read Here
Delaware Hayes Basketball season wrap up
Abby Stahl, Website & Social Media • May 3, 2024
Read Here
Senior Sammy West hugs Sophomore Paige Keller as she gives her a gift.
Track and Field senior night against Marion Harding
Amanda Booth, Staff Writer & Photographer • May 3, 2024
Read Here
Freshman Brenden VanTilburg celebrates after scoring a goal.
Boys' lacrosse wins a tight battle with Medina
Alec Ostapuck, Director of Visual Content • May 2, 2024
Read Here
Concert basses perform during the spring concert.
Orchestras perform in spring concert
Izzy Kelly, Photographer • May 2, 2024
Read Here

Musical therapy for mourning souls: how Foo Fighters’ new album captures the essence of grief

Wikimedia Commons/Raph_PH
Foo Fighters release new album “But Here We Are” in memorium of late drummer Taylor Hawkins.

Very few, if any bands, were able to rise from the ashes of the 90s grunge scene. It died a slow, agonizing death as it was co-opted and ripped apart by several other genres. The Foo Fighters are one of the only exceptions. With frontman Dave Grohl, coming out of one of the biggest bands, Nirvana, taking Pat Smear alongside him. With each of their albums comes a newer, fresher sound for the band. And their newest album, “But Here We Are” is no different.
Dave Grohl came out of Nirvana refusing to only be seen as “that guy from Nirvana.” Since then, he has paved his own way and let himself be known, allowing millions of people to hear his heartbreaking lyrics. “But Here We Are” is heavily influenced by the tragic passing of beloved drummer Taylor Hawkins in early 2022.
The second track on the album, “Under You,” takes on the confusion and stillness we feel when a loved one passes, with lyrics such as “Someone said I’ll never see your face again, part of me just can’t believe it’s true” that play on the denial and the fear that comes with grief. Later in the album we have songs like “Hearing Voices” and “The Glass” that touch on how during the grieving process, it feels like there is a piece of yourself missing, and how you have to live with that empty space. This idea is apparent in the lyrics “I had a version of home, and just like that, I was left to live without it […] Waiting for this storm to pass, waiting on this side of the glass.”
Towards the end of the album, we have “Show Me How,” which features Violet Grohl, Dave Grohl’s oldest daughter. This song takes on a darker tone and feels like a warm and solemn goodbye. This is a lovely song, Violet’s haunting harmonies on this track add to the depth of the lyrics, and adds to this already beautiful moment between father and daughter.
Although Violet has sung and performed with her father before, this is the first time she has been featured on one of The Foo Fighters’ albums. The third and second to last songs on the album, “Beyond Me” and “The Teacher,” take on some of the biggest questions and thoughts we are left with when we lose someone, such as how to go on with your life when you lose someone you love. “You showed me how to breathe, never showed me how to say goodbye” leaves us with this very dark and sad struggle of a goodbye.
This album perfectly depicts the stages of grief, and comes to the best conclusion one will get regarding the raw emotions of grief, with a song called “Rest.” This song took the number one spot in many fans’ hearts the second they heard this album this June. This is a song of remembrance, love and heartbreak. The chorus is strong and long lasting, repeating the phrase “Rest, you can rest now.”
With this newer, fresher sound for the band, some fans found themselves in disagreement with others’ enjoyment with the album. One of their biggest grievances is how, despite the continued darker theme in this album, it takes on a lighter sound in comparison to some of their previous albums. Although this is true, most fans would agree that it is the perfect goodbye to beloved drummer, Taylor Hawkins.
It comes to a beautiful conclusion not only for the song but for the album “Waking up, had another dream of us. In the warm Virginia sun, there I will meet you.” If you ever find yourself in this position or with an hour to spare, listen to this beautiful and heartbreaking album. Taylor Hawkins will be missed for his drumming, voice, talent, soul and heart. Rest in peace.