The Student News Organization for Rutherford B. Hayes High School

The Talisman

The Talisman

The Talisman

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Talisman Talks 23-24 #12 - Ava Prenger & Audra Lyon
April 26, 2024
Read Here
Senior and captain Grant Lamar goes for a backhand.
Boys' tennis wins 3-2 against Jonathan Alder
Izzy Kelly, Photographer • April 26, 2024
Read Here
The baseball team has one last discussion before the game starts.
Baseball dominates in a conference win over Worthington Kilbourne
Zach Taylor, Photographer • April 26, 2024
Read Here
How to celebrate Earth Day every day
How to celebrate Earth Day every day
Amanda Booth, Staff Writer & Photographer • April 25, 2024
Read Here
Taylor Swift during her Speak Now Concert at Heinz Field.
Opinion: The media's influence on politics (Taylor's version)
Mia Saksa, News/Features Section Editor • April 22, 2024
Read Here

The Delaware farmers’ market: Bringing attention to small businesses

A florist’s display at the farmers market.

Every Saturday morning during the months of May through October, small businesses from all over Delaware and surrounding areas come together for the farmers’ market. The market comes with a variety of shops and sellers in the downtown Delaware area.

Wild Moon

Melassa Matteson’s shop, Wild Moon, carries a large range of products. Stretching from lip balms, to soap, to incense holders, Matteson has something for everyone no matter what they’re interested in.

Melassa Matteson’s display of different candles and other products for her small business Wild Moon. (Piper Baxley)

“I have been a crafter my whole life,” Matteson said. “I started doing things because my kids are obsessed with bath bombs, so a lot of this stuff just came from things that were easier for me to make myself, because they were needed, and then I ended up just selling them.”

“It’s a lot of work,” she said. “But it’s always great doing what you love to do, and it never feels like work when you’re making things.”

— Melassa Matteson

Running a small business has many trials and tribulations, yet Matteson said that it can be very rewarding.

Sammy Makes Earrings

Sammy Makes Earrings is a jewelry stand which sells clay earrings and beaded bracelets. Her ghost earrings are such a popular seller, that she likes to make a game out of them.
“I like to play a game where I count how many people come by and comment on or buy those earrings,” business owner Sammy Moody said. “It’s always a very high number.”

Sammy Moody’s farmers market earring display. (Piper Baxley)

Moody was looking for something to do during the pandemic and stumbled across clay earrings online. She started making them and she’s been a staple in the Delaware farmers market ever since.
“I think that the community of this town is really unique,” Moody said. “So I love spending my Saturday mornings here.”

Pamela’s Creative Kitchen

Pamela Pyzza’s shop, Pamela’s Creative Kitchen, has a wide variety of baked goods and other treats. Every weekend, Pyzza will have an assortment of sugar cookies, biscuits, arugula, cheerio treats, breakfast bites and much more.
While baking has always been one of Pyzza’s passions, she just recently made it her main focus.
“I [studied] math and neuroscience for eight years locally,” Pyzza said. “And when we had twins 15 months ago, I decided that I wanted to get out of academia, and I started the business.”

More flowers from Starry Blossoms flower farm. (Piper Baxley)

Pyzza gave some insight into what it’s like running a small business.
“Hectic! You have to find time to fit everything in, in between everything else,” Pyzza said. “But it’s also exciting to work for yourself and get to make all of the decisions.”

Starry Blooms Flower Farm

Andrea Kullberg’s shop, Starry Blooms Flower Farm, is a colorful booth full of all kinds of different flowers. She grows all of her flowers in her backyard and was inspired to start gardening by another flower farmer, Floret.
“’I’ve always liked gardening, and then I just had a desire,” Kullberg said. “I came across this woman, she’s kind of revolutionized small scale flower farming, and I was like, I just need to grow flowers.”

Andrea Kullberg’s farmers market flower display for her small business Starry Blossoms flower farm. (Piper Baxley)

She said her favorite part of the farmers’ market is the community.
“It’s been so fun to meet people in the community.” Kullberg said. “I see the same people every week, so I have regulars and it’s fun.”

Cocoyam

Esther Sands’ shop Cocoyam sells all kinds of jewelry, including rings, bracelets and necklaces. She also carries bonnets and headwraps. In addition to Cocoyam, Sands runs a business named Amammre where she makes suits, wedding dresses and even costumes for local theaters.
“I started fixing my own clothes because I couldn’t get clothes that fit me well,” Sands said. “So I started to make my own clothes, and then my friends would ask me … to fix something for them. I would create [them] and then it turned into a business.”
Sands said she believes that the farmers’ market is great for small businesses.

Rings, bracelets and other items made by Esther Sands and her small business Cocoyam/Amammre. (Piper Baxley)

“It’s pretty much geared towards small businesses [and] entrepreneurs,” Sands said. “And I live close by so that helps [me to] come to this one. Seeing people support each other and support local businesses is pretty great.”

The farmers’ market can be an opportunity for small businesses to connect with the community.
“it’s a nice way to meet new people, meet new businesses and share delicious snacks with the local community,” Pyzza said.