The Student News Organization for Rutherford B. Hayes High School

The Talisman

The Talisman

The Talisman

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
The total solar eclipse viewed from Delaware.
The United States and eclipsing (scientific) literacy
Brody Counts, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
Read Here
Delaware Hayes Basketball season wrap up
Abby Stahl, Website & Social Media • May 3, 2024
Read Here
Senior Sammy West hugs Sophomore Paige Keller as she gives her a gift.
Track and Field senior night against Marion Harding
Amanda Booth, Staff Writer & Photographer • May 3, 2024
Read Here
Freshman Brenden VanTilburg celebrates after scoring a goal.
Boys' lacrosse wins a tight battle with Medina
Alec Ostapuck, Director of Visual Content • May 2, 2024
Read Here
Concert basses perform during the spring concert.
Orchestras perform in spring concert
Izzy Kelly, Photographer • May 2, 2024
Read Here

Opinion: TikTok does more good than bad; people need to calm down

TikTok+isnt+all+what+the+internet+claims+it+to+be.+It+has+its+negative+sides+but+there+are+also+a+lot+of+benefits+that+come+from+the+app.++
Ricky Collins
TikTok isn’t all what the internet claims it to be. It has its negative sides but there are also a lot of benefits that come from the app.

TikTok took off in 2016, taking over the video making app Musical.ly. Since then, TikTok has been a primary news source for young people. Users of the app get to come up with short content videos. It is a way for the younger generation to express themselves through politics, dance videos, lip-syncing videos, storytimes, get-ready-with-me videos, and more.
People argue that TikTok has harmed the way young people view themselves and set an unrealistic beauty standard. However, there is so much more to the app than just pretty faces and topic stereotypes.
The creative platform also helps businesses reach more people than they could have before, as Tikok’s algorithm allows businesses to reach their target audience at an affordable price.
TikTok also allows companies to create an emotional relationship with the consumer. When viewers see products on their page consistently, they become more familiar with the product and the business owners. The viewer feels that they know the creator of the product.
Businesses may also try to display its product or service in an aesthetically pleasing way. A “cookie thirst trap” is one way cookie companies like Crumbl Cookies make eye-grabbing videos to feature their cookies. You get to see the cookies of the week under a spotlight getting different angles and parts that make the cookies unique. The short videos have made it more accessible for people to look at their cookies.
In addition, TikTok has altered how individuals become famous. With other sites, such as YouTube, only a select few people are known for their luxurious lifestyles. TikTok has the power to make someone famous with just one scroll. It is a faster and easier way to fame.
Ordinary people are now attracting attention on TikTok because of the relatability of their videos, including people like Alix Earle who got her name to fame by posting about her experience with acne and her famous “Get Ready With Me” videos where she would share her everyday experiences that people found to be similar to their life. The relatable content regarding her skin care journey has gained millions of views.
This does not go without saying that TikTok can harm users’ mental health causing a variety of illnesses related to the content as you scroll through your feed. Comparing yourself to people on your feed, or the addictive nature are all important issues that shouldn’t be ignored.
However, people more often than not have a tendency to only focus on the negative side of things rather than looking at how in so many ways, users on TikTok are trying to bring awareness to these topics or share personal stories of their mental health journey. It also has the ability to bring light to different topics helping people get a general perception of mental health topics.
One TikTok celebrity trying to help people, specifically girls, with hardships they might be facing is Spencer Barbosa. Spencer promotes positive body image and the “self-love” trend on the app. She uses her videos to speak about her struggle with bullying and how that affected her, and continues to grow her platform to help other girls build their confidence.
Generation Z is the most diverse and socially accepting generation, and TikTok is an example of how they are focused on spreading confidence rather than tearing people down.
TikTok has its dark sides but we so often focus on the bad parts of it that we forget why so many people are on TikTok in the first place. The app informs people, promotes businesses, and has made the right people famous. Whether individuals trapped in the 1900s agree with it or not, TikTok is the future, and that doesn’t have to be a bad thing.