The Student News Organization for Rutherford B. Hayes High School

The Talisman

The Talisman

The Talisman

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Baseball gets big win over Franklin Heights in senior night
Zach Taylor, Photographer • May 7, 2024
Read Here
TT Shorts 23-24 #6 Ian Green & Abrianna Hite
Brady Kaasa and Grant LaMarMay 7, 2024
Read Here
Senior Lilly Cottrill performs At Last arr. Dave Wolpe at this years spring band concert.
Hayes spring band concert
Izzy Kelly and Ava VogelMay 6, 2024
Read Here
Ways to swim this summer
Ways to swim this summer
Amanda Booth, Staff Writer & Photographer • May 6, 2024
Read Here
The total solar eclipse viewed from Delaware.
The United States and eclipsing (scientific) literacy
Brody Counts, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
Read Here

The Hayes Grand Pacer Marching Band receives a superior rating at state finals

Senior Emily Ward poses with an American flag during the performance of “One Gaint Leap.”

With the marching band season coming to an end last weekend, the Hayes marching band traveled to Hilliard Bradley High School on October 28 for state finals.
Competing in five competitions across the state of Ohio, the Hayes Grand Pacer Marching Band earned an overall superior rating at each competition. Superior ratings are the highest ratings that a band can earn in OMEA competitions.
While at Hilliard Bradley High School, the marching band was led by Hayes band director Bill Fowles and were the last band to perform during the allotted time. Minutes after their performance, the ratings were announced and the Hayes band was awarded their final superior rating.
This season, their show was inspired by the moon landing of 1969. Titled “One Giant Leap,” it consisted of four acts arranged by Micheal J. Miller. The arrangement includes excerpts from “Space Oddity,” along with other famous space-themed songs.
“It was a cool space concept, especially in relation to the history of Ohio to the space race,” mellophone section leader Xavier McCloskey said.
The Hayes Grand Pacer Marching Band has been under the direction of Fowles for the past two years. Alongside him, Alan Notestine is the assistant band director and is also the band director at Dempsey Middle School.
Every year, those in the marching band attend a band camp for three weeks in July, where they start to learn the show’s music as well as music for parade performances. This is one of the ways Fowles gets the whole band ready for the season. It also introduces the incoming freshmen to those already in the marching band and teaches them how to march. Often the student leaders including section leaders, captains and drum majors are upperclassmen.
“To get to see [underclassmen] find their place in the band and make friends is really cool,” horn captain Gavyn Schooley said. “I’m gonna miss not being able to see that.”
Schooley is a senior and the section leader for the low brass section this season. After the start of the season, Brittany Green became the guard instructor for the Hayes color guard. The color guard consisted of 12 members, their costumes and flags complementing the space theme with three guard solos included in the show. At the state finals, the color guard scored the highest rating that they’ve had all season.
“We’ve had issues with consistency, coach-wise, but we always end up coming out stronger than we were before,” color guard co-captain Emily Ward said.
Ward is among the 27 seniors involved in the performance this season. Each senior has seen the changes within the marching band environment over the past years.
The marching band said their goodbyes to the seniors on October 25 at their last practice before states. Their time and effort have given them chances to perform at various events and competitions throughout the season and secured them a superior rating at the state finals.
“I’m really excited to see where they go next year, I feel like we’re just gonna get better and better,” Schooley said.