The Student News Organization for Rutherford B. Hayes High School

The Talisman

The Talisman

The Talisman

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Talisman Talks 23-24 #12 - Ava Prenger & Audra Lyon
April 26, 2024
Read Here
Senior and captain Grant Lamar goes for a backhand.
Boys' tennis wins 3-2 against Jonathan Alder
Izzy Kelly, Photographer • April 26, 2024
Read Here
The baseball team has one last discussion before the game starts.
Baseball dominates in a conference win over Worthington Kilbourne
Zach Taylor, Photographer • April 26, 2024
Read Here
How to celebrate Earth Day every day
How to celebrate Earth Day every day
Amanda Booth, Staff Writer & Photographer • April 25, 2024
Read Here
Taylor Swift during her Speak Now Concert at Heinz Field.
Opinion: The media's influence on politics (Taylor's version)
Mia Saksa, News/Features Section Editor • April 22, 2024
Read Here

Student life outside of the classroom: in-depth look at a few clubs offered at Hayes

Josie Morrow
Gretchen Esterly poses holding tampons for her club the Hayes Period Project.

Whether a student wants to benefit academically, make new friends, or build relationships with teachers, there are many different ways students can get involved throughout Hayes. While there are a variety of different clubs offered to students, here is an in depth look at a few of these clubs.

Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA)

The Gender Sexuality Alliance is a club focused on the inclusivity of all people, including both those who are part of the LBTQIA+ community and allies. They do various activities like watch movie clips, talk about current events involving LGBTQ issues and act as a support group if somebody needs it.
Unlike previous years, GSA is being held during the house period, as well as after school.
“I’m excited that we’re doing it as a club for house because I really wanted to try to open it up to more students to participate because not everybody can stay after school,” GSA adviser Alyssa Petsche said.
There can also be different reasons why students might want to join the club.
“Students benefit [from being in GSA] because it’s really a club where they can be as loud and proud as they want and just be around their own people…” Petsche said. “It’s really a place where [students] can be who they are and everybody is there for support.”

Mock Trial

The mock trial team is a club where students get a case to study at the beginning of the school year and act out the case as if they were lawyers and witnesses, like a real courtroom.
Throughout the year, students compete against other schools in various competitions. The club meets approximately once a week after school.
“If [students] are interested in [mock trial] next year, definitely come,” mock trial adviser David Morgan said. “Find me early in the year, before the school year or right when the school year starts.”

Hayes Period Project

The Hayes Period Project is a new club, established this school year. Before it was a club, the Period Project was created during the 2022-2023 school year by three students: Josie Morrow, Gretchen Esterly and Kelly Schafer.
Last June, these students competed in the Changemakers competition through the YMCA in Washington D.C. against over 1,000 other student-run nonprofits and won a $5,000 grant for the project.
The Period Project was established to provide proper education and access to period products in general.
“[Our goal is to] make sure we have enough products to last us for as long as they can and find more people to spread the message,” Esterly said.
The Project provides different services if students need them, like stocking period products in the school bathrooms and providing go bags if students are in need of basic hygiene supplies at home.

If a student has an interest in joining clubs at Hayes, they should contact the advisers for information about what the club participates in, when they meet and the different qualifications needed to be a part of them.