The Student News Organization for Rutherford B. Hayes High School

The Talisman

The Talisman

The Talisman

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Students reflect on prom 2024
Students reflect on prom 2024
Maryn Sobas and Jade BallMay 8, 2024
Read Here
The Back Page, Episode 21
The Back Page, Episode 21
Carter Sims and Collin CrispMay 8, 2024
Read Here
Junior Garrett Brown prepares to catch the ball.
Football team looks to grab recruiting attention
Alec Ostapuck, Director of Visual Content • May 8, 2024
Read Here
Baseball gets big win over Franklin Heights in senior night
Zach Taylor, Photographer • May 7, 2024
Read Here
TT Shorts 23-24 #6 Ian Green & Abrianna Hite
Brady Kaasa and Grant LaMarMay 7, 2024
Read Here

Health teacher Josh Lee receives Guardians For Good award

Grace Metz
Hayes health and P.E. teacher Josh Lee accepts an award for his involvement with Helpline from Guardians for Good at their November 2023 banquet.

Delaware County’s HelpLine hosts a Guardians For Good event each year that recognizes four individuals in the community who have made a positive impact. Health teacher Josh Lee was a recipient of this award.
Each school year, Lee has members from HelpLine come into his classroom and speak with students on topics such as mental health and building healthy relationships.
“It is kind of hard to think I am winning this award just for caring about kids,” Lee said. “I want kids to know they have a place to go.”
The purpose of the award is to recognize people who represent Helpline’s goal of making a better, happier and healthier community for other people.
“I try to make sure that the students know that they can come to me if they need to,” Lee said. “I may not have all the answers, but I can hopefully point to someone to make that connection.”
Lee’s purpose for having Helpline involved in his classroom is because they are dedicated to bringing a positive outlook on mental healthcare.
“Mr. Lee brings HelpLine’s prevention programs into his health classes, but who he is as a teacher lines up with HelpLine’s values,” HelpLine employee Nathan Bonofiglio said. “He is one of the most invested and caring teachers that I’ve had the pleasure of knowing and working with.”
Bonofiglio is a regular visitor to Lee’s classroom. He runs a suicide prevention program called “Signs of Suicide” which talks to Lee’s health class about the warning signs of suicide and how students can help.
“Through our presentation, Lee is always very invested,” Bonofiglo said. “He does a great job of communicating to his students how the content that we’re discussing can apply directly to their lives.”
Lee was nominated for showing genuine interest in the lives of students.
Bonofiglo said how awesome it is that the students have a place to go where they know they will feel supported and safe.
“[Mr. Lee] is always there to talk to and support you no matter what,” Sophomore Ella Gibson said. “He helps other students not feel alone on their problems and is a trustworthy teacher to be around.” Lee has had HelpLine representatives in his classroom for several years now and said that he doesn’t plan on stopping.