The Student News Organization for Rutherford B. Hayes High School

The Talisman

The Talisman

The Talisman

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Talisman Talks 23-24 #12 - Ava Prenger & Audra Lyon
April 26, 2024
Read Here
Senior and captain Grant Lamar goes for a backhand.
Boys' tennis wins 3-2 against Jonathan Alder
Izzy Kelly, Photographer • April 26, 2024
Read Here
The baseball team has one last discussion before the game starts.
Baseball dominates in a conference win over Worthington Kilbourne
Zach Taylor, Photographer • April 26, 2024
Read Here
How to celebrate Earth Day every day
How to celebrate Earth Day every day
Amanda Booth, Staff Writer & Photographer • April 25, 2024
Read Here
Taylor Swift during her Speak Now Concert at Heinz Field.
Opinion: The media's influence on politics (Taylor's version)
Mia Saksa, News/Features Section Editor • April 22, 2024
Read Here

Chilled melodies: Captivating winter albums to warm your soul

With winter in full force, the air is colder and coats have been brought out from the closet, along with the fuzziest of blankets.
Now amidst all of this, most people’s energy is going up and down, with the days consumed by clouds and darkness. It’s very easy for someone to let this consume them, as most people spend the winter trying to keep themselves afloat, which can heavily impact what they’re listening to most of the time. Below are our top 5 recommendations for albums to listen to when the temperature dips.

Carrie and Lowell By Sufjan Stevens

Starting at the bottom of the list is “Carrie and Lowell” by Sufjan Stevens. This album takes on a lighter sound that may remind the listener of freshly fallen snow.
This album, released in 2015, uses metaphors and imagery to take the listeners to a million different places. Stevens has the ability to paint a clear picture of the story he is telling and to make someone reminisce on memories that they didn’t make.

Fan favorites off this album are “Death with Dignity,” “Should Have Known Better” and “Fourth of July,” which gained popularity on TikTok in late winter, 2021.

Southeastern By Jason Isbell

The album “Southeastern” by Jason Isbell, released in 2013 has taken the fourth spot on the list. This album hangs on the soul like a winter coat on a metal hanger, with haunting lyrics that make the listener sit back and reflect on their own life experiences. One of the most popular songs on the album was “Cover Me Up,” which is also the first song on the album. The song rings in nostalgic tones, and has a warmer tone, distracting from the coldness in the notes throughout the rest of the album.

Photo Credit: Southeastern Records

Hozier by Hozier

Number three on the list would be Hozier’s self titled debut album “Hozier”, released in 2014. This album, along with a lot of Hozier’s other music, has strong allusions to religion. Religion and winter tend to combine, with Christmas at the forefront of every store, movie and commercial theme.
His hit single “Take Me to Church” sparked much controversy due to the LGBTQ+ themes in the song’s music video, depicting two men as the victims of a vicious attack due to their relationship. A fan favorite on the album would be “Cherry Wine – Live.”

Photo Credit: Island Records

The song depicts domestic abuse, despite the lyrics having been misconstrued by many listeners, who may see it as a love song. The song’s lyrics “Her eyes and words are so icy/Oh but she burns/Like rum on the fire/Hot and fast and angry as she can be/I walk my days on a wire.” This references the strong, hurtful words mixed with the anxiety of being in an abusive relationship.

Stranger in the Alps by Phoebe Bridgers

The second album on the list would have to be “Stranger in the Alps” by Phoebe Bridgers, released in 2018. This album is a fan favorite, no matter what season it is. Phoebe’s lyricism in this album is beyond brilliant with lyrics like, “Do you feel ashamed when you hear my name?” which then fades into a bike bell, and the sound of an on-comming train, with “Anyway don’t be a stranger” sung on top of it, giving the feeling of nostalgia that lingers with the listener.

Fan favorites off this album include “Funeral,” “Scott Street” and “Smoke Signals.” In the song “Funeral,” Bridgers depicts the death of someone, the grief that comes along with it and how grief can have a ripple effect. “Stranger in The Alps” rose in popularity, due to the song “Motion Sickness” being highlighted by fans for its deep cut lyrics such as “I have emotional motion sickness, somebody roll the windows down.”

Superache by Conan Gray 

At the number one spot is the album “Superache” by Conan Gray, which was released in 2022. This album takes the listener through several stories, but most of the songs on the album are a reflection on several different themes relating to heartbreak.
Of the 12 tracks on the album, the most popular track is “Family Line,” which shares the story of Conan’s personal life. This album is Conan’s sophomore album, with the first album he released being Kid Krow.

Republic Records

The whole album draws from Conan’s personal life, this being one of the leading reasons why his fans love him and his music, through his honesty and transparency. The album focuses on the idea of unrequited love and the process of healing from failed relationships.
As winter wraps its frosty embrace around the world, these albums serve as the perfect soundtrack for the snowflakes outside listeners’ windows. Their lyrics act as the perfect cover to shield fans from the cold.