The Student News Organization for Rutherford B. Hayes High School

The Talisman

The Talisman

The Talisman

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Talisman Talks 23-24 #12 - Ava Prenger & Audra Lyon
April 26, 2024
Read Here
Senior and captain Grant Lamar goes for a backhand.
Boys' tennis wins 3-2 against Jonathan Alder
Izzy Kelly, Photographer • April 26, 2024
Read Here
The baseball team has one last discussion before the game starts.
Baseball dominates in a conference win over Worthington Kilbourne
Zach Taylor, Photographer • April 26, 2024
Read Here
How to celebrate Earth Day every day
How to celebrate Earth Day every day
Amanda Booth, Staff Writer & Photographer • April 25, 2024
Read Here
Taylor Swift during her Speak Now Concert at Heinz Field.
Opinion: The media's influence on politics (Taylor's version)
Mia Saksa, News/Features Section Editor • April 22, 2024
Read Here

It’s Not Your Average Candygram; Tri-M Singing Valentines

Jade Ball and Maryn Sobas

Watch on YouTube.

This school year, the Tri-M national music honors society brought back the yearly tradition of Singing Valentines to students.
Tri-M is for students in any of the three music classes offered at Hayes. Through an induction process, the group has over 30 active members this year.
The group of music students continue throughout the year with community service projects and planning events such as the talent show.
The tradition of Singing Valentines started in the late 2000s with Hayes Singers delivering the singing grams. Less than a decade later, the Hayes Tri-M troupe took it over, allowing more to participate. This is the first year that the tradition has been brought back since the start of the pandemic.

Members of Hayes Singers surprise a student with a Singing Valentine during House. The event served as a fundraiser for the music program. (Jade Ball)

Rehearsals started in early February and more than 25 participants helped to sell and deliver the Singing Valentines, with some being already inducted into Tri-M in previous years. The group sold more than 50 Singing Valentines, raising over 100 dollars towards the music programs.
Students who sent a Valentine could choose from 5 songs, including “Calendar Girl” which students may recognize from the Homecoming tradition performed by the tenors and basses from all choirs during lunch periods. Songs also included “Ain’t No Mountain” and “Lollipop.”
“We wanted to go with a more classic feel, with cute and old-timey love songs,” said Rosemary Crantson, Vice President of Hayes’ Tri-M troupe.
The Singing Valentines were delivered on February 13 and 14 during the house period. For those that received a Valentine, they were given a note with the sender’s name, unless sent anonymously, along with a chocolate heart and the chosen song. Some participants in the Tri-M activity also received a Singing Valentine while they were out delivering singing grams to others.
“I was a little confused because I was singing, and the group just came up to me and started singing,” Hayes Singer Gavin Lewis said.
Lewis received a Singing Valentine from Isaac Christopher, a sophomore who is also a part of Hayes Singers. Many used the opportunity to embarrass their friends or a significant other, sending a group of singers to find and serenade the recipient.
“It was a lot of fun to see people’s reactions, especially Mr. Lehman,” Lewis said. “You’re with all your friends too so it was enjoyable.”
With the production of Legally Blonde as this year’s spring musical, those singing met a few times for rehearsals briefly after school, along with being given some time during choir periods towards the start of the delivery days.
Tri-M also saw an increase of underclassmen getting involved in the activities put on throughout the year. With inductions happening at the end of this school year, those hoping to get inducted into the program have been tracking their points with what they have been musically active in, including the participation in Singing Valentines.

Tri-M delivered Singing Valentines around Hayes to celebrate Valentines Day. (Ricky Collins)

The group of officers and choir director Dara Gillis met in the summer to set up a calendar with monthly activities for the troupe to do during the school year. The organization of the Singing Valentines was fully officer driven.
“For the last couple of years, we’ve talked about doing this and haven’t gotten it done,” Gillis said. “I thought that all of it went really well.”
For the months left of the 2023-2024 school year, the three officers of Tri-M are working towards organizing a Trivia Night in March and a Senior Showcase in April.
People involved in the music programs at Hayes and other students should expect to see the return of the Singing Valentines next school year.