The Student News Organization for Rutherford B. Hayes High School

The Talisman

The Talisman

The Talisman

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Talisman Talks 23-24 #12 - Ava Prenger & Audra Lyon
April 26, 2024
Read Here
Senior and captain Grant Lamar goes for a backhand.
Boys' tennis wins 3-2 against Jonathan Alder
Izzy Kelly, Photographer • April 26, 2024
Read Here
The baseball team has one last discussion before the game starts.
Baseball dominates in a conference win over Worthington Kilbourne
Zach Taylor, Photographer • April 26, 2024
Read Here
How to celebrate Earth Day every day
How to celebrate Earth Day every day
Amanda Booth, Staff Writer & Photographer • April 25, 2024
Read Here
Taylor Swift during her Speak Now Concert at Heinz Field.
Opinion: The media's influence on politics (Taylor's version)
Mia Saksa, News/Features Section Editor • April 22, 2024
Read Here

Opinion: Schools are meant for educating, not kissing

Mia Saksa
Two people holding hands in the hallways of the school.

A school’s definition is “​​an institution for educating children.”
What school isn’t is a place for partners to show physical affection while other students are trying to get their work done.
A Public Display of Affection, better known as “PDA,” is when couples show affection as in kissing, handholding, hugging, cuddling or fondling in a public setting.
There is a time and place to show affection for significant others, but the school hallway is not the time or the place.
Seeing people kissing in the hallway isn’t ideal, but the main issue is what is happening in the classroom.
The distraction of students inappropriately touching one another in class leads to students around them losing focus.
When surveyed, 74% of the Hayes students who responded said that PDA is a distraction in classrooms. The respondents also mentioned how a classroom is meant for learning and not flirting.
PDA does not only affect the student witnesses, but the students who are engaging in PDA, too. They become more focused on the engagement of the romantic display of affection, which can lead to a decrease in the couple’s academic performance.
There is nothing wrong with showing love and affection for a significant other, but there needs to be boundaries while in an educational setting. The main reason schools often have a zero tolerance rule is because innocent hand holding in the hallway can lead to more: touching each other inappropriately, extensive hugging and kissing.
Some of the students surveyed also noted how it isn’t the innocent hand holding that is distracting, it’s the kisses on the head or the constant need to be touching one another.
It isn’t just a distraction, but it leaves those around the couple feeling unnecessarily uncomfortable.
Hayes has yet to show a real enforcement of a PDA policy and the community has yet to see any real rules regarding publicly affectionate behavior.
Not only is PDA disrupting, but it can also continue the spread of disease through our school. Infectious diseases are commonly spread through direct transfer of bacteria. This often happens through kissing and touching someone who is infected.
PDA can be avoided in school with clear regulations and rules addressing the issue.
The fact of the matter is: there is a time and a place to show love for a significant other.
The hallways and classrooms at school are not the time nor the place for students to get intimate with their partners.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Talisman
$1200
$2000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Rutherford B. Hayes High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.