The Student News Organization for Rutherford B. Hayes High School

The Talisman

The Talisman

The Talisman

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
The total solar eclipse viewed from Delaware.
The United States and eclipsing (scientific) literacy
Brody Counts, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
Read Here
Delaware Hayes Basketball season wrap up
Abby Stahl, Website & Social Media • May 3, 2024
Read Here
Senior Sammy West hugs Sophomore Paige Keller as she gives her a gift.
Track and Field senior night against Marion Harding
Amanda Booth, Staff Writer & Photographer • May 3, 2024
Read Here
Freshman Brenden VanTilburg celebrates after scoring a goal.
Boys' lacrosse wins a tight battle with Medina
Alec Ostapuck, Director of Visual Content • May 2, 2024
Read Here
Concert basses perform during the spring concert.
Orchestras perform in spring concert
Izzy Kelly, Photographer • May 2, 2024
Read Here

Opinion: The media’s influence on politics (Taylor’s version)

Photo courtesy of Flickr/Ronald S Woan
Taylor Swift during her Speak Now Concert at Heinz Field.

The singer-songwriter Taylor Swift has influenced America with more than just her music.
Other than breaking records, dominating the billboard charts, reclaiming her previous album and winning 14 grammys, Swift also has the influence of young people at her fingertips.
During 2018’s midterm election, the pop sensation broke her silence, endorsing democratic senate candidate Phil Bredeseno for her home state of Tennessee.
“In the past I’ve been reluctant to publicly voice my political opinions,” Swift said on her Instagram. “But due to several events in my life and in the world in the past two years, I feel very differently about that now.”
As a young singer, Swift always tiptoed around questions involving her views on politics. She often mentioned how politics was not how she wanted to use her platform. “It is my right to vote but it isn’t my right to tell other people what to do,” Swift said in a 2012 interview.
The 34 year-old singer’s views were changed when she was sexually assaulted in 2013.
After being taken to trial by David Muller since he lost his job due to Swift’s statement, Swift proceeded to counter sue for one dollar to mock the fact that the trial was even taking place, despite the picture evidence of the assault and a witness.
Since Swift has spoken out about the topic, she has made statements standing up for victims who have not been believed during her Reputation tour.
“I just think about all the people who weren’t believed and the people who haven’t been believed or are afraid to speak up because they think they won’t be believed,” Swift said during the performance. “I just want to say how sorry I am to anyone who wasn’t believed.”
Her experiences over time have led to her encouraging her fan bases to register to vote, making it known the importance of her voice.
Within nearly 24 hours of Taylor Swift’s instagram post in 2018, 65,000 people between the ages of 18-29 registered to vote. Right before the deadline, the number increased to 102,000 almost all being under the age of 25 years old.
Swift has conveyed her political messages through her music as well.
Songs like “The Man,” which addresses the double standard Swift has faced during her time in the music industry.
She addresses toxic masculinity that she has experienced, her dating life and how it has been perceived through her songs.
Since the song “You Need To Calm Down,” that calls for support in the LGBTQ+ community Swift has continued that support , directing her criticism during the Eras tour to the harmful legislation towards the LGBTQ+ community in Tennessee.
“I wish that every place was safe and beautiful for people in the LGBTQ+ community,” Swift said. “Right now and in recent years, there have been so many harmful pieces of legislation that have put people in the LGBTQ+ and queer community at risk. It’s painful for everyone: Every ally, every loved one, every person in these communities.”
Despite all of this, former President Donald Trump still feels that he has boosted the pop star’s career more than Joe Biden ever has.
“I signed and was responsible for the Music Modernization Act for Taylor Swift and all other Musical Artists. Joe Biden didn’t do anything for Taylor and never will,” Trump wrote on Truth Social. “There’s no way she could endorse Crooked Joe Biden, the worst and most corrupt President in the History of our Country, and be disloyal to the man who made her so much money.”
This frustration could stem from the fact that Swift alone could sway the 18 percent of voters who say they are more likely to vote for a candidate endorsed by Swift.
Taylor Swift’s reach goes further than just music; she is an icon using her voice to get people out to the voting polls.