The draft laws are unknown to many who qualify for it

Sarah Estok, News Editor

Logo of the Selective Service System

The Selective Secret Service is the Governmental Organization which controls the draft, however has no part in decided when the draft is needed.

While jokes on TikTok and other social media networks have implied a humorous tone to the potential of the United States engaging in a war with Iran, there is enough significance of the events to call need for those of age to know the laws concerning the United States draft.

The Military Selective Service Act was passed near the beginning of the US involvement in World War 1 in 1914. This Act required almost all men between 18 and 26 years old to register for the draft, including non-citizens and those with dual citizenship with few exceptions.

The United States last utilized the draft on Dec. 7, 1972, during the Vietnam War. The date of the last drawing for the lottery was on Mar. 12, 1975.

According to KCPP, The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has developed a random calendar and number selection program for Selective Service. Using this random selection method for birthdays, each day of the year is selected by a computer in a random manner, and that date is placed in a capsule and loaded in a large drum on a random basis.

The drawing is similar to state lotteries, but with 366 balls representing 366 calendar birthdays of a year. The ages of the draftees fell between 18 and 26. 

The order that these numbers are drawn illustrates the order that people will be called to the draft. There are two sets of balls in the lottery, one representing birthdays, and one numbered 1-366, to represent a sequence. 

Registrants with low lottery numbers are ordered to report for a physical, mental, and moral evaluation at a Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) to determine whether they are fit for military service and are given 10 days to file a claim for exemptions, postponement or deferment.

According to the Secret Selection Service website, if a person is enrolled in high school, their draft is postponed until they graduate or reach the age of 20, whichever occurs first. In addition, college students can be postponed until the end of the current semester, or if they are in their final year, when they graduate.

A person’s draft request can also be postponed if they have a serious illness or there is a death in their immediate family.

Finally, any physical disabilities can also keep someone from being drafted. Even if someone cannot be drafted due to one of these conditions, they are still required to register.

In Feb. of 2019, there was discussion of the law which only drafts men being unconstitutional. While there are many strong opinions over the topic, nothing has legally changed. 

All in all, the draft poses a serious threat to eligible citizens and is something that should be thoroughly understood by Americans.