Students and teachers reflect on wearing masks at school

Teagan Knutson

Students working in class while having to wear masks

Morgan Johns, Staff Writer

Now that school is back in session for Hayes students, the school is following a new hybrid system to allow everyone to come to school safely in the hopes of preventing a large outbreak in cases. Administration has also made it mandatory that all students and staff wear a mask throughout the school day. 

Masks today are used for fashion purposes and now in the year 2020 used to protect people from the new deadly disease, Covid-19. As healthcare professionals and people in the science community have learned more about this disease as it has developed, organizations like the CDC have changed their recommendations and guidelines to accommodate everyone. 

Not everyone is always able to wear a mask as it may be a potential threat to them in some way. According to the CDC, children under the age of two, people who have breathing problems, and people who are not able to take a mask off by themselves should not wear one. 

Masks are a simple way to protect one another from Covid-19. However, masks can interfere with the way teachers are able to teach the curriculum, in addition to how students are able to learn. Masks can also lead to less of a desire to go out and participate in activities. 

Freshman Tara Love said that wearing a mask “is not a huge deal, it’s just annoying.” 

She also said that wearing a mask does not affect her ability to learn. However, she said that wearing a mask makes it harder to see everyone’s face.

Junior Jacqueline Copley said that she also doesn’t think wearing a mask is a big deal. “[At first,] I didn’t want to do it, but then they became required at Kroger, which is where I work,” Copley said. 

History teacher David Morgan said that wearing a mask can create some challenges as a teacher. “It’s a lot harder to teach, when I am constantly adjusting my mask or pulling it out of my mouth,” he said. “It’s harder to have conversations with students wearing a mask.” 

Throughout the continuation of Covid-19, masks have become mandatory throughout Ohio and in public in many other places nationwide

Love said that she has had to wear masks at the grocery store and school. 

For some activities though, wearing a mask may not be necessary or the right thing to do.

“I do golf, and at practice [my coach] would check us in, and sometimes we wouldn’t wear masks, but we are all pretty separated from each other anyways,” Love said.

As masks have become a bigger part of our everyday life, people’s desire to go out to restaurants or do anything outside of their home has lessened. For some people though, getting out of the house is just what they need after having to stay home for so long. 

“I was almost fiending to get back to school because I didn’t like doing the online teaching. I need the interaction with the students and with the people I teach with,” Morgan said.  

Masks have also created a problem of making it harder to create relationships with teachers and other students, and having those easy interactions. 

“I go a lot on facial recognition,” Morgan said. “It’s easy with some [students] that I had last year in class, but it’s taken me a lot longer only seeing the top little bit of their face.”

Masks have become a necessary and important part of daily life. Though some may have their problems with them, it is ultimately one step to help end this pandemic.