Hybrid learning can create challenges for students’ mental health

Creative Commons

Mental health issues are becoming increasingly prevalent among the general population.

While Covid-19 is still prevalent in Ohio, schools have so far still been allowed to operate through a hybrid learning system. Although it is putting safety first, it is taking a toll on student’s mental health.
At the beginning of this year, many students were skeptical of how hybrid learning would work since there hasn’t been much experimentation, besides the end of the 2019-2020 school year that was fully online.
Junior Zach Maines is one of the many students who are taking part in hybrid learning this year.
“I’m learning to like hybrid learning more and more as we go on,” Maines said. “It can be stressful to have work at home, but it’s also relaxing to be able to do it on my own at the same time.”
As hybrid learning continues on, students tend to struggle with getting their work done on the online days.
“I often procrastinate my online work until the day it is due,” Maines said. “This causes me a lot of stress, but it normally affects me the night before I have in class learning.”
Christopher Downey, one of the counselors at Hayes who oversees students in grades 10-12, said he feels that going back to school five days a week instead of two to three days a week would be beneficial for everyone.
“If at some point, the number of cases were to decline enough or a vaccine were to become publicly available and we are able to get everyone back to school, without a doubt I’m sure it would be a positive outcome for students and for staff as well,” Downey said.
Maines said he also feels that going back to school the full five days would be favorable.
“I feel as if my overall mental health was better during full in class learning, but a lot of that may also just be associated with Covid in general,” Maines said.
To help manage their stress, students are encouraged to visit their counselor and talk about how they’re feeling and to also seek help if they need it.
If students aren’t comfortable with talking to counselors, Downey encourages students to reach out and talk with a teacher they’re comfortable talking to or a trusted adult.
“In the last few weeks, we’ve noticed a lot more students coming to us, talking about their concerns, and sharing their feelings with us,” Downey said. “[Students] are also talking to trusted adults, which is what we want them to do.”
If students are struggling on their own, Downey encourages students to seek help and to talk with someone they trust and are comfortable with.
“If you’re struggling with something, please talk to someone,” Downey said. “We understand that it is hard to be vulnerable to an adult but if something doesn’t feel right to you or you are hurting, please talk to someone and let them know what is going on so that you can get the help that you need.”
If you are dealing with a significant amount of stress due to the pandemic, please call 1-800-720-9616 any time to speak with counselors. All calls are free and confidential.
If you are not dealing with pandemic related stress, please text the keyword 4HOPE to the Ohio Crisis Text Line at 741-741 or call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.