Wordle: A remarkably simple trend

word+game

Created by Carter Sims

Wordle has become a simplistic and long-lasting trend in 2022.

Carter Sims, Managing Editor

While trends are a constant evolution and will always be surpassed by “the next big thing,” not all trends have similar intent. Some fads are meant to be enjoyed ironically or cause extreme reaction, but Wordle gained traction because of its simplicity.
The game, created by game developer Josh Wardle, has a relatively straightforward concept. Every user has 6 chances every day to guess the correct 5-letter word.
A correct letter in the correct place will turn the box green, while guessing a correct letter in the wrong place will make it appear yellow. An incorrect letter will keep the box dark.
Wordle became vastly popular, reaching 2 million users by February, with Hayes students and teachers being no exception to the trend.
“I think Wordle got so popular because the game revolves around playing everyday,” sophomore Caiden Bennett said. “It creates a habit that people instantly fall into.”
Part of the game’s rise can be attributed to the ease of sharing, as users can post their results on social media.
“I originally saw it on TikTok, and that inspired me to try it,” sophomore Jakub Kopasz said.
Kopasz has been doing school online through Hayes, but has found Wordle as a connection with friends who go to school.
“Being at home, I did see my friends’ posts about Wordle,” Kopasz said. “I even had a groupchat where we would all send our scores.”
The trend didn’t just stop at students, as teachers also hopped on the word-guessing sensation.
“Wordle is accessible to a wide variety of people,” math teacher Kathy Kraus said. “My 12-year-old nephew plays it and shares his results with his 67-year-old grandparents. It’s great that something so simple can bring so many people joy. It’s nice to see that we can all commiserate about something that’s positive.”
Teachers at Hayes have used Wordle as a way to relate to their students. Megan Kollas, a Spanish teacher at Hayes, leaves links for a Spanish Wordle, while English teacher David White puts the Wordle on the board every day.
“Anytime students and teachers can find a common interest, it certainly helps build relationships,” Kraus said. “I think Wordle has definitely done that.”