Boys’ swim team looks to continue recent success

Jeremiah Rutherford

The boys’ swim team competes in a meet with Big Walnut, Lakewood and Hilliard Darby on Dec 18.

Mason Desmond, Staff Writer

Hayes swim has been a strong suit in the school’s athletics recently, with both girls’ and boys’ teams winning the OCC last year. They are hoping to continue that success this year.
“I think that we’ll have a really solid year,” senior captain Kaden Gannon said. “We lost a handful of talented swimmers, but we gained a lot of new underclassmen who have been progressing really well thus far. The present is bright, but the future is even brighter.”
The team is coached under Garrett Eiben, who has been a part of the team for the past few years and is looking forward to the upcoming year.
“Last year was a very special year and we had a great group of guys,” Eiben said. “We lost some great talent after last year’s graduating class. I see big things happening from senior captain Kaden Gannon. Senior captain CJ Abahazi is also going to need to step up in the 100 Breaststroke and defend his 1st-place finish from last year. We have some great talent that has also been added by our returning underclassmen and freshman.”
The team also has strong chemistry, as many teammates depend on one another to maintain their success.
“Both mine and the team’s strong points revolve around our chemistry and the energy we bring,” Gannon said. “We won’t guarantee that we’ll win every meet, but I can guarantee that we’ll have the most fun out of any team there. The team does a great job of feasting on each other’s energy and competing together.”
Some of the swimmers are also committing to the next level. Abahazi committed to Ohio Wesleyan University to continue his academic and swimming career.
“I am excited to start this new chapter in my life,” Abahazi said. “I am looking forward to seeing how I can do and improve under a new coach and program. I am looking forward to meeting my new teammates and getting to see how I can compete at the collegiate level.”
The boys’ swim team looks to win another OCC title for the second consecutive year.
“I think this team is full of potential,” Eiben said. “I feel confident that they will be able to capitalize on the talent present on the team. We are led by great captains – Kaden Gannon and CJ Abahazi. Other seniors like Kyle Buzbee, Josh Bucher, and Austin Smith have been stepping up big time to lead a mostly underclassmen team. It is going to be a very successful year overall.”