The Student News Organization for Rutherford B. Hayes High School

The Talisman

The Talisman

The Talisman

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Students reflect on prom 2024
Students reflect on prom 2024
Maryn Sobas and Jade BallMay 8, 2024
Read Here
The Back Page, Episode 21
The Back Page, Episode 21
Carter Sims and Collin CrispMay 8, 2024
Read Here
Junior Garrett Brown prepares to catch the ball.
Football team looks to grab recruiting attention
Alec Ostapuck, Director of Visual Content • May 8, 2024
Read Here
Baseball gets big win over Franklin Heights in senior night
Zach Taylor, Photographer • May 7, 2024
Read Here
TT Shorts 23-24 #6 Ian Green & Abrianna Hite
Brady Kaasa and Grant LaMarMay 7, 2024
Read Here

Opinion: Adopt, don’t shop

Ava Vogel
Phoebe Morrow, a shelter cat, was adopted from the Delaware Humane Society by senior Josie Morrow.

In the U.S., approximately 530,000 cats live and die in shelters every year. However, this number could be decreased drastically if people choose to adopt from shelters instead of promoting the use of breeders.
Every year, about 3.2 million cats enter U.S. animal shelters and 2.1 million of them, including the cats already in shelters, are adopted. This leaves more than 1 million cats every year that don’t get adopted, leading to overcrowding in shelters and euthanization.
Although some may brush these statistics off because of the existence of “no kill” shelters, no shelter can promise to be euthanasia-free. Shelters have limited space and with the amount of new animals being brought in, they constantly need more space.
While many cat breeders are responsible and reputable, there are also many “backyard” breeders.
Backyard breeders, defined by their irresponsible breeding with inadequate conditions and poor care standards for their animals, breed animals purely for profit. Pet owners unknowingly buy from these breeders, encouraging them to keep breeding because of the money that they earn from the process.
These breeders also can breed unhealthy kittens due to genetic disorders caused by irresponsible breeding. This can leave owners shocked when they find out that their new cat has a disorder that could potentially have long term effects, costing the owner hundreds of dollars in treatment costs and causing lifelong pain for so many animals.
Another problem with cat breeding is the disturbing industry of kitten mills. Breeders from these mills keep mother cats in unsanitary conditions and small cages, breeding them over and over again until they can no longer reproduce. With many in the market for kittens, the demand for them is always high, which kitten mills take advantage of.
When these cats are almost six weeks old, they’re taken away from their mothers to be sold, which stops the natural socialization of kittens to other cats and humans. Therefore, a lot of owners will put their cats up for adoption because of their behavior.
As a result, the rates of cats going into shelters rises when prospective owners unknowingly buy kitten mill cats, while backyard breeders leave kittens who were not adopted in the streets. If people want to help these cats, they need to adopt instead of shopping, which saves many cats from suffering.
However, if someone has their mind set about shopping for a new kitten, doing research on breeders can help. One way to find a reputable breeder is by seeing if they have a pedigree, or a family history, for the cat. Not having one is a sign that they’re either mass breeding cats or that they’re a backyard breeder. Another way to find a breeder is through organizations like The International Cat Association or the Cat Fanciers’ Association.
On the other hand, people can directly help to fix the issue by adopting at their local shelters, like the Delaware Humane Society or the Cozy Cat Cottage. These cats need homes and it just takes people who are willing to give them one.