Students weigh in on expectations for the new school year

A new school year comes with new standards for Hayes students.

Kamryn Drake, Staff Writer

Senior Armon Weaver

Armon Weaver

Senior

• Changes you expect for this year: “I want no masks and at lunch, I hope we can sit with more friends.”
  • Policy you want changed:  “Basically just with masks and stuff, I just don’t want to have them anymore.”

Ethan Bush

Senior

•  Changes you expect for this year: “I would say having optional masks is probably going to be a possibility.”
  • Policy you want changed: “Not particularly. It’s all in the hands of the school board and stuff, so whatever they do we have to be behind.”

Mustafa Ali

Senior

•  Changes you expect for this year: “I expect to see more people getting sick honestly.”

Senior Wesley Davey

Wesley Davey

Senior

• Changes you expect for this year: “I hope that the stairs will be both ways again because that’s annoying.”
  • Policy you want changed: “The masks stopping is possible because they’re checking every week to see if we can be mask free.”

Toby Bohrer

Senior

• Changes you expect for this year: “I would say a lot more people are going to be talking in class for sure.”
  • Policy you want changed: “I would definitely like to change the mask rule.”

Zach Maines

Senior

• Changes you expect for this year: “I was expecting there to be no masks, but they changed that at the last second.”
  • Policy you want changed: “I would just say no masks.”

Junior Katie Connell

Katie Connell

Junior

• Changes you expect for this year: “Well, we are going five days a week, so that’s a big change. The teachers are also more interactive since they get to see us five days a week.”
  • Policy you want changed: “I would like to change the restriction of option, I got option last year and I loved it. So I want that back.”

Mariah Collins

Junior

• Changes you expect for this year: “I don’t want to wear the masks.”
  • Policy you want changed: “[The masks are]just the main thing I want to go away.”

Shaun Maze

Junior

• Changes you expect for this year: “I think that maybe it will get closer to normal or how normal used to be.”
  • Policy you want changed: “Hopefully no masks. I think that is the only rule right now that is still in place versus last year.”
Junior Tavis Robison
Junior Tavis Robison

Tavis Robison

Junior

• Changes you expect for this year: “I think that once the school gets stable enough, we won’t have to have masks.”
  • Policy you want changed: “No more masks!”

Evan Lowry

Sophomore

• Changes you expect for this year: “Hopefully by the end of the year we can get rid of masks.”
  • Policy you want changed: “I would also like to make masks optional.”

Gabe Cooper

Sophomore

• Changes you expect for this year: “I liked that we are all back, but I feel like that’s not going to last very long.”
  • Policy you want changed: “I don’t think we will have the masks for much longer. I also hope we don’t have to do the social distancing for much longer because I want to be more with friends.”
Sophomore Kenneth Dominguez
Sophomore Kenneth Dominguez

Kenneth Dominguez

Sophomore

• Changes you expect for this year: “I expect more transitions, more changes in how close we are to students, different house games, and just more involvement in the actual school instead of last year.”
  • Policy you want changed: “I liked that they changed the lunch table rule because before we were sitting at tables by ourselves, but now we can sit all together again.”

Marta Bourget

Sophomore

• Changes you expect for this year: “I hope once Covid gets controlled and everything, I hope that we can go without masks.”
  • Policy you want changed: “My main thing is I just don’t want masks at all anymore.”

Nathan Russel 

Sophomore

• Changes you expect for this year: “We might have to go back and forth between having masks or not but my hope is mainly that we can get everybody to the point where we don’t have to wear them. I love sitting at a table with my friends and everything but my hope is that we can have that throughout the whole day”
  • Policy you want changed: “I hope everything goes back to normal for this spring.”

Tiba Naser 

Sophomore

• Changes you expect for this year: “I think just being around each other more often.”
  • Policy you want changed: “I just want the masks to go away by the end of the year.”

Ian Counts 

Freshman

• Changes you expect for this year: “With Covid slowing down a little bit I could see the end of the mask policy or perhaps even a better and higher vaccination rate.”

Kyle Sanson

Freshman

• Changes you expect for this year: “Probably just having no masks.”