The Student News Organization for Rutherford B. Hayes High School

The Talisman

The Talisman

The Talisman

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Talisman Talks 23-24 #12 - Ava Prenger & Audra Lyon
April 26, 2024
Read Here
Senior and captain Grant Lamar goes for a backhand.
Boys' tennis wins 3-2 against Jonathan Alder
Izzy Kelly, Photographer • April 26, 2024
Read Here
The baseball team has one last discussion before the game starts.
Baseball dominates in a conference win over Worthington Kilbourne
Zach Taylor, Photographer • April 26, 2024
Read Here
How to celebrate Earth Day every day
How to celebrate Earth Day every day
Amanda Booth, Staff Writer & Photographer • April 25, 2024
Read Here
Taylor Swift during her Speak Now Concert at Heinz Field.
Opinion: The media's influence on politics (Taylor's version)
Mia Saksa, News/Features Section Editor • April 22, 2024
Read Here

New kids on the block: The small businesses of downtown Delaware

Brody Counts
Downtown Delaware remains a hub for small businesses. Some have been around for decades, others mere months.

Delaware’s downtown scene has been an ever changing and ever growing part of the city, with some icons having stuck around since the 1930’s and others just opening their doors mere months ago. Although the older businesses have roots set firm in the soil of Delaware, new sprouts are growing all across the city.

Smash Shack 

The Smash Shack Burger Company opened on September 6 on Lake Street. While featuring no dine-in option, the Shack still grills up dishes for both pickup and delivery, with options ranging from traditional 100% Ohio beef smash burgers, to all beef chili dogs. If it’s a football night, their fresh jumbo wings are a viable game day snack.
Smash Shack owner Jesse S said that the choice to open in Delaware was a reflection of his family’s passion for the city.
“We are excited to be part of the East side renovations and be a great addition to Sandusky Street across the river,” Jesse said.
They see no reason that Smash Shack won’t continue to thrive.
“[We will stay open] as long as we can continue to have quality burgers, dogs and wings that are fast and affordable,” Jesse said.

NYC Deli Mart

Located on Sandusky Street and featuring a wide array of products, their New York City inspired deli offers everything from subs and gyros to slices of cheesecake. A unique detail of every sub they sell is that if it would traditionally contain pork, instead it contains a halal alternative. Customers just looking for snacks may be pleased to know there’s a wide variety of chips and drinks in the mart-side of the business.

The Rutherford Cafe

The Rutherford Cafe, named after former U.S. president Rutherford B. Hayes, is a small business located just around the corner on East William street. Offering a variety of simple sandwiches, ranging from the pastrami laden Rutherford to the ever iconic BLT, the cafe also offers a varying selection of salads, varying from a traditional chicken to a mediterranean.
Liz Moser, one of the founders and general manager of the cafe, said that their relationship with The Greater Gouda, another downtown business, was part of the reason they chose Delaware.
“Our sister shop, The Greater Gouda, was already established here since 2016,” Moser said. “Since all of our meats and cheeses come from there, it was most convenient to have the shop close by.” Moser noted that the Rutherford had an “overwhelmingly positive reception” and that she sees the business continuing to thrive in Delaware.