The Student News Organization for Rutherford B. Hayes High School

The Talisman

The Talisman

The Talisman

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Baseball gets big win over Franklin Heights in senior night
Zach Taylor, Photographer • May 7, 2024
Read Here
TT Shorts 23-24 #6 Ian Green & Abrianna Hite
Brady Kaasa and Grant LaMarMay 7, 2024
Read Here
Senior Lilly Cottrill performs At Last arr. Dave Wolpe at this years spring band concert.
Hayes spring band concert
Izzy Kelly and Ava VogelMay 6, 2024
Read Here
Ways to swim this summer
Ways to swim this summer
Amanda Booth, Staff Writer & Photographer • May 6, 2024
Read Here
The total solar eclipse viewed from Delaware.
The United States and eclipsing (scientific) literacy
Brody Counts, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024
Read Here

The Phoenix has risen: Prospect Hill takes the lead in first two House competitions of the year

Ava Vogel
The Prospect Hill Powderpuff team celebrates their win over Ridge.

With Ridge wanting to take first place in Powderpuff football for yet another year, they managed to get to the finals and play Prospect Hill on Friday, October 13. Prospect Hill and Ridge went into overtime, tying 7-7. However, Prospect Hill managed to keep Ridge from scoring and won the tiebreaker.
So far, Prospect Hill has gained two first place victories in the past two months, including their mash up performance of “Dance the Night Away” by Dua Lipa and “I’m Just Ken” by Ryan Gosling during the Lip Sync competition back in September. Prospect Hill holds the overall first place position so far in the year-long house competition.
“The Phoenix can never die, that’s the way we compete and we are going for the gold this year,” senior Evalyn Penley said.
Penley participated in Lip Sync and Powderpuff for Prospect Hill this year and plans to compete during House Games Day as well. With House Games Day and other competitions throughout the school year yet to come, other houses still have the chance to knock Prospect Hill out of its first place position.
Although Ridge came in second place, the team and other House members still displayed their house pride last Friday. Last year, Ridge took first place in the Powderpuff competition.
Adam Haynes, the Ridge house dean, said he encourages those in Ridge to wear their house shirts during competitions and events even when students are not participating.
“Mr. Haynes gets everybody excited about the house, [he] gets everyone wanting to be involved,” said Junior Kara Gelesenkamp, the running back for Ridge’s Powderpuff team.
Up next in house will be the field goal kicking competition at the end of October. In this bracket-style competition, students will earn points kicking field goals out in Cornell Stadium. The farther the student is from the field goal while kicking, the more points they can earn for their house during the competition.
In addition, the month of Houktober has started and the upstairs of the Roland Center will be filled with festive Halloween decorations soon, created by the Houk house. Prospect Hill also decorates the Roland center during the winter holiday season.
Also during house, students will have in-house activities to do when there are no events going on, along with unstructured time that many use to talk with those in their house.
“House gives you a really good social outlet, especially at the end of the school day,” Penley said. “To be able to hang out with my friends in that environment is something that I will miss.”