The Student News Organization for Rutherford B. Hayes High School

The Talisman

The Talisman

The Talisman

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Talisman Talks 23-24 #12 - Ava Prenger & Audra Lyon
April 26, 2024
Read Here
Senior and captain Grant Lamar goes for a backhand.
Boys' tennis wins 3-2 against Jonathan Alder
Izzy Kelly, Photographer • April 26, 2024
Read Here
The baseball team has one last discussion before the game starts.
Baseball dominates in a conference win over Worthington Kilbourne
Zach Taylor, Photographer • April 26, 2024
Read Here
How to celebrate Earth Day every day
How to celebrate Earth Day every day
Amanda Booth, Staff Writer & Photographer • April 25, 2024
Read Here
Taylor Swift during her Speak Now Concert at Heinz Field.
Opinion: The media's influence on politics (Taylor's version)
Mia Saksa, News/Features Section Editor • April 22, 2024
Read Here

A look inside the Y-ball teams at Hayes

Mia Saksa
Players and coaches of the Y ball Wet Dream Team pose for a photo after a Sunday game.

The Delaware YMCA has opened up their courts to kids of all ages looking for a way to have an organized game of basketball, while also trying to emphasize the fun part of the game.
Two teams in the league are entirely made up of students at Hayes: The Wet Dream Team and the Average Joes. Many of the players choose to participate because they are looking for something to do in their free time.
“I did [Y ball] last year, to just be with friends,” junior Will McLead said. “I just think it is something to do for fun.”
Y ball coaches range from parents of the players to their own peers. The Wet Dream Team specifically, has all high school student coaches.
“ [The coaching staff] just tries and creates an experience for everyone to play,” junior Robert Condo said. “So they can have the most fun doing it.”
The delegation of power can be difficult with all 5 coaches being peers to the players. All coaches try to bring knowledge and experience to the team Condo mentioned. The team does the best to respect the coaches.
“I try to act as if they are an actual coach,” McLead said. “[The team] doesn’t really treat the coaches how we should.”
To prepare for games, the team each have an hour slot at the YMCA’s gymnasium each week. However, they are also able to practice for two hours at a separate gym.
“We practice every Monday and then a team came together and said that isn’t nearly enough,” Condo said. “Because God knows we need more practice.”
The two teams met in a rival game February 18. Player Zach Shomer said that his favorite part of Y ball was the rivalry game between the Average Joes and the Wet Dream Team. Prior to the rivalry game, both teams worked hard to prepare. The Average Joes prepared for this matchup all season. Their basketball practice paid off with a victory and a score of 55-39.
“The season started off a little rocky with us losing our first three games,” Average Joe’s player junior Carson Fowler said. “But we came back and won two games with our record as of now 2-3 about to make it 3-3 on Sunday.”
Although the competition is fun, Y ball is designed for kids to have a fun time with friends.  “Don’t join if you actually want to take basketball seriously and are trying to get better,” McLead said. “It’s all for just the experience and having fun with friends.”