Students overwhelmed with stress as third quarter ends

Kristen Smith

Students work on school work as the third quarter comes to an end.

Morgan Johns, Staff Writer

For many, the third quarter has left students feeling overwhelmed and stressed because of the workload of school.
Syntero counselor Shannon Miller said that she has seen around 20 students who have been struggling with anxiety and stress. Though most of the referrals are from stress, some are related to suicidal thoughts and depression.
For students, they continue to feel stress as the school workload continues.
“[It’s] mostly school and the workload. Right now I’m in lacrosse season and I’m still working, so on top of school, work and lacrosse it’s just a lot to juggle and balance,” junior Allison Miller said.
“I feel like the third quarter [has] definitely been the most stressful just because college is coming up and there’s just been a lot of stuff going on,” senior Kirsten Myers said. “There’s a lot to do in the third quarter compared to each other quarter, especially being a senior.”
Stress is caused by many different situations. For some, the schoolwork itself is the primary thing that causes them stress in their everyday life.
“Some of the most common things that students tell me [is] that they’re stressed about school work, [and] about being able to get things in on time,” Shannon Miller said. “Most of them tell me that it’s hard for them to be at home some days and at school some days; that they wish they were at school five days a week because that structure is helpful to make sure they get stuff done and stay on top of things.”
For others though, the future of their adulthood is what keeps them feeling overwhelmed.
“I’ve had a lot of students tell me that they get stressed about what happens after school like college, being an adult, having more responsibility in life, figuring out where to go for college and finances for college…” Shannon Miller said.
Besides the workload that school brings on and the challenging school year many students have had to face, state testing and college admission exams have left students acquiring even more stress.
“I’m very nervous about [the ACT] just because it’s a big test that determines what college you get into,” Allison Miller said. “Colleges require a certain score on the ACT in order to apply and get in.”
As students continue to struggle with mental health, Shannon Miller said to consider using coping skills for help.
“In general, a good coping activity is something you already enjoy doing, something you already have an interest in and something that makes you feel good,” she said.
For Myers, seeing a counselor and keeping in touch with friends is what helps her with stress.
“I have a counselor that I go to and that helps a lot with my stress,” Myers said. “But besides that when I’m just alone, I always call my friends and have weird laughing moments.”
As the Covid-19 pandemic continues, students have missed out on the activities or events to help them cope with stress.
Allison Miller said that not being able to attend sporting events is one thing she misses doing that would help her cope with stress.
Overall, Covid-19 and school have played a big role in students feeling overwhelmed and stressed. Sometimes seeking help is the key to dealing with mental health.
“Needing to talk to a counselor doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s something wrong with you,” Shannon Miller said. “If anything, I have a lot of respect for people who are strong enough to admit [they’re struggling].”